What is brow lifting?
Whilst Anti-wrinkle injections can reduce the appearance of lines and wrinkles on the forehead and somewhat lift the brow, in some people the brow has drooped such that the upper lid can become “hooded” with the appearance of excess skin. Brow lifting is a surgical procedure where the tissues of the forehead are lifted to a higher position, raising the eyebrows to give a more youthful and rested appearance.
What does a brow lift operation involve?
In our Perth clinic, brow lift surgery is carried out as a day procedure. Fluid containing local anaesthetic is placed in the brow to reduce patient discomfort as well as reducing bleeding during the operation. The tissues of the forehead are freed through the small incisions in the scalp. The forehead tissues are then lifted to the desired position and fixed in place before the incisions are closed, usually with dissolving stitches.
Brow lifting is frequently combined with other rejuvenating procedures such as blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery) and face lift surgery.
How will I feel after brow lift surgery? How quickly will I recover?
Most patients tolerate the procedure extremely well and are allowed to go home within a few hours. Oral pain killers and antibiotics are routinely prescribed after the procedure. Most of the bruising and swelling associated with surgery settles in the first 1-2 weeks and many patients are able to return to normal activities at that stage.
Is brow lifting safe? What are the potential risks?
Fortunately, the risk of significant, long lasting complications in brow lifting surgery is very small. There are some problems which can develop although these tend to be temporary and short term.
- Bleeding under the skin (haematoma) – with the use of a local anaesthetic solution possessing anti-bleeding properties and careful surgical techniques, this problem is seen less frequently. It is relatively more common in men undergoing this surgery, smokers, and in patients taking blood-thinning medication such as aspirin and other non-steroidal painkillers such as ibuprofen (Brufen) or diclofenac (Voltarol). These medications are therefore best avoided pre and postoperatively.
- Numbness and nerve damage – some numbness of the brow itself and the scalp above is usual in the early phase after treatment. A feeling of “pins and needles” is normal as this sensation recovers. The motor nerves which move the face must be carefully protected in any facial rejuvenation surgery. Cases of damage to these nerves have been described in medical literature, however it is exceedingly rare.
- Hair loss – hair loss is rare with careful technique and more common in smokers. Where is does occur it is typically seen on the scar itself and settles slowly over a few months.
- Infection – with all surgical procedures, infection occasionally occurs and antibiotics are sometimes needed. With the use of prophylactic antibiotics, this complication is extremely rare.
- Slow healing – scars from facial rejuvenation surgery usually heal very well and quickly. Occasionally the wound may be slow to heal. This is fortunately rare even in smokers who are the patients at slightly higher risk of this problem.
- Scars – the scars resulting from brow lifting are usually very well hidden and the patient can wear any hairstyle he or she wishes. In a small proportion of patients the scars can thicken somewhat usually in the first couple of months (hypertrophic scars) and may need some additional treatment to encourage them to settle.
How long does a brow lift last?
Many factors affect this, including the genetic makeup of the patient, the quality of the skin and the surgery performed. It is fair to say that the benefits typically last 7 to 10 years. Although the surgery “turns back the clock” by improving the freshness and youthfulness of the appearance, aging still continues and further change with time is inevitable.
How much does it cost?
Most people opting for Brow lift Surgery are also candidates for some other cosmetic procedures like eye lid surgery, face lift, neck lifts and skin resurfacing. At Medaesthetics® we offer our signature make-over packages, for patients opting for more than one procedure.
Please click here for more details on pricing for brow lift surgery in Perth.
Is it for me?
For the appropriate patient, brow lifting can give very pleasing, long-term results. It can be particularly effective when combined with other facial rejuvenation procedures. With careful planning and attention to detail a less tired, more youthful appearance can be achieved.
Why choose Medaesthetics® for your Brow lift Surgery in Perth?
Contact our Perth clinic today to discuss your options for a brow lift. To book an appointment, please click here.