Overview of FUE Hair Transplant Surgery
Whether your hair is thinning, receding, or just disappearing; hair loss is one of the most common cosmetic issues cited by men and women globally.
It is estimated that by the age of thirty-five, as many as two-thirds of men and one-third of women suffer from some degree of hair loss. Approximately 90% of men and 50% of women experience thinning hair by the age of fifty.
Forehead reduction (also called Hair-line Lowering Surgery) to reduce the distance between eyebrows and hair-line, is a commonly requested procedure in both men and women.
Hair loss is more than just a physical issue - it can also significantly impact the self-esteem and confidence of the person experiencing it.
Traditional hair transplant procedure employs a technique known as the Strip Method (FUT). This method involves surgically removing a strip of tissue from the patient's scalp on the back of the head. Hair follicles required for the procedure are harvested from this strip.
Strip technique still remains very popular today as a large number of grafts can be harvested for transplantation in one session. Few inherent issues associated with this technique are:
- Longer healing time if a large strip of scalp is taken.
- It can leave a permanent, unsightly linear scar
Neograft™, on the other hand, uses a patented minimally-invasive Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) & implantation technology with an automated handpiece to carefully harvest individual hair follicles (using gentle suction) from the back of the head. (Please watch the clinical videos at the bottom of this page).
These hair follicles are carefully sorted and implanted in the recipient site. Once grafted, they regrow as healthy, fully functioning hair.
Benefits of Neograft™ FUE Technique:
- This technique does not leave a linear scar.
- It is minimally invasive and requires much less recovery time.
- It works for most hair types, males and females alike, and gives permanent, natural-looking results.
Limitations Of FUE Technique:
- FUE method is not suitable for everyone and has its own limitations.
- One of the biggest limitations of the FUE technique is the number of grafts that can be effectively harvested in one session.
- Unlike the FUT (Strip) Method where up to 6000 grafts can be harvested in one go, FUE technique does not allow more than 2000 grafts in one sitting.
- In a small percentage of patients, it is practically not possible to harvest enough grafts with FUE method to successfully complete the hair transplant surgery. The anatomy of their hair follicles is just not suited to the FUE technique.
Medaesthetics in Perth is proud to be the first clinic in Australia to offer the latest Neograft™ FUE Hair Transplant Surgery in Perth. We also offer the traditional FUT (Strip) technique to patients who are not suitable for the FUE hair restoration.
Important: Dr Ehsan Jadoon and his team in Perth have recently completed intensive training in Hair Restoration (transplant) Surgery using both the FUE and FUT (Strip) techniques. All FUE / FUT procedures are carried out by Dr Jadoon himself along with his team of Registered RN's and Dermal Therapists. We do not employ Hair Technicians for conducting any of our procedures.
Frequently Asked Questions
Hair Transplant Surgery is suited to both men and women who are healthy and have no contraindication to an elective surgical procedure. Like any other surgical procedure, there are limitations to what can be realistically achieved by this surgery in one session.
People seeking FUE/ FUT procedures either want to restore hair loss (such as scalp) or add new hair to areas where they did not have enough hair naturally (such as eyebrows and forehead reduction- aka Hair-line lowering).
The key factors that determine if an individual is suitable for hair transplant surgery are:
- Degree of hair loss.
- The number of grafts necessary to produce the desired results.
- Density, texture and quality of the donor's hair.
- Past hair transplant procedures and the results achieved.
- Potential for future hair loss.
It is important to understand that hair transplant surgery is not suitable for all types of hair loss and is not a first-line treatment.
Non-surgical treatments such as oral medication, PRP, topical serums and laser therapies are often recommended to restore hair loss before a decision is made to have surgery. It is the responsibility of your doctor to evaluate your hair loss and determine the most appropriate treatment plan to suit your budget and lifestyle.
We find that the key attributes to a successful FUE surgery are:
- Careful patient selection (the most important factor)
- Correct evaluation of the nature and cause of the hair loss.
- Devising/mapping out a treatment plan which suits a patient's budget and expectations.
- Considering social down-time and time-off-work restraints.
- Spending ample time discussing the surgery in detail with the patient. Educating each patient about different treatment options available and answering any questions or concerns.
- Drawing natural-looking hair-lines so the results are as natural as possible
- Using state-of-the-art equipment and technology to gently and carefully harvest, handle and implant Hair Follicle Units.
- Using a highly precise, micro-surgery technique to harvest grafts and make sure the least number of Hair Follicles are damaged during the process. i.e ensuring maximum survival rate.
- Providing full clinical support and follow-up after each surgery to make sure the healing process is smooth and hassle-free.
We find that an average person wanting to have hair restoration surgery spends a lot of time searching for the right clinic and the right doctor both inside Australia and overseas. Patients are usually looking for:
- Most reputable doctor/clinic
- Best value for money
It is important to understand that for most things in life, you get what you pay for, and hair restoration surgery is no different. Hair Transplant Surgeries may be very cheaper overseas, but there is no follow-up available if anything goes wrong. It may be worth your while to have the procedure in your home city.
Patient preparation, local anaesthetic, extraction and implantation of about 2000 grafts can take anywhere between six to eight hours. Patients are able to watch a movie or use their phones/ laptops/ tablets during the procedure.
Halfway through the procedure, patients are given a short break to go to the toilet, have a drink and eat food. There is minimal pain or discomfort associated with the surgery and most patients are pleasantly surprised with the ease the entire procedure is completed.
Recovery time after an FUE hair transplant generally much faster than FUT because there is no incision involved.
Most patients are able to return to their normal work/ routine within two weeks after the procedure.
The newly implanted grafts may feel tender and appear slightly raised at first but this subsides within a week. Any scabbing also flakes off within fourteen days.
Patients are allowed to wear clean and soft headgear to cover the treated scalp during the healing phase after the first 3 days.
The average number of grafts required for scalp hair restoration is 2000 - 4000. Some patients may need up-to 8000 grafts or more.
At Medaesthethetics, we are only offering less than 1000 grafts in one session at this stage. This is because our team is still relatively new and we are doing smaller/ less complicated cases to make sure each case is performed with utmost care.
After a Hair Transplant, the newly transplanted hair become dormant for 3-4 months after the procedure. This phase in hair growth is called Telogen phase. After 9-12 months when transplanted hair proceeds to the anagen (growth) phase, patients are able to see the full effect of the hair transplant.
Definitely! One of the key benefits of the Neograft® FUE technique is that donor hairs are harvested in what are called "Follicular Units". These are the units that hair naturally grows in, and therefore, once they are transplanted, they will look totally natural.
The aesthetic eye of your hair transplant surgeon and his/her markings are critical for a natural looking hairline.
At Medaesthetics, the cost of Neograft™ FUE Hair Transplant surgery is based upon the approximate number of hair follicles being transplanted. Most clinics in Australia charge in excess of $15000 for the procedure.
At Medaesthetics, we are offering a very affordable introductory price of $7000 (all-inclusive)for procedures requiring up to 800- 1500 grafts.
As mentioned earlier, all procedures are performed by Dr Ehsan Jadoon himself along with his clinical team. No surgical steps are allocated to non-medical hair-technicians like most other clinics worldwide.
Hair Transplant Clinics in most developing countries are able to offer surgical procedures at a lot cheaper price than Australia, North America, Western Europe etc. There are several factors at play including:
- Currency exchange rates.
- Little or no regulation by Government agencies in most developing countries.
- No mandatory medical indemnity insurance requirements.
- Staff wages and related overheads which are way less than countries like Australia.
- Running costs of the clinic etc.
Dr Ehsan Jadoon is a well known and well established Australia/US/UK trained cosmetic surgeon specializing in minimally invasive cosmetic dermatological surgery procedures since 2009.
Servicing Western Australia for the past 10 years, Dr Jadoon noticed that there were very few (if any) full-time surgical hair restoration clinics in WA. Majority of doctors offering Hair Restoration Surgery in WA were actually based over in the Eastern States and only visited Perth to do few cases here and there.
Most Western Australian men and women, wanting to have Hair Transplant surgery, have to travel interstate or overseas.
To fill this gap, Dr Jadoon decided to extend his surgical skills to hair restoration surgery using the FUE technique. For this, Dr Jadoon has travelled to the US and completed a hands-on training workshop with world-renowned Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr Jack Fisher based in Nashville, TN.
Dr Jadoon now offers the exact same level of clinical skills and protocols in FUE Hair Transplant in Perth as offered by the leading Neograft surgeons around the world.
Any surgical procedure carries risk. At Medaesthetics, we are proud to offer the best post-surgical follow-up available in the industry today. This includes:
- Free follow-up appointments until the patients are fully healed after their surgery.
- For faster recovery, we offer 3 x free Healite LED Therapy sessions to all our surgical patients at no extra cost. (Additional sessions can be purchased at a discounted rate).
- In case you develop any post-surgical complication, we will treat it at no extra cost until you are healed. This provides you with the added peace of mind that you are in expert hands. No overseas, or Interstate clinic can offer this level of service since you will have to fly back to them in case there are any post-surgical complications.
Important note: It is the patient's responsibility to use logical sense and adhere to all pre and post-surgical instructions given to them by us. We find that patient who read these instructions properly and look after their health and wellbeing before and after any surgical procedure usually heal without complication.